Girl Online // Book Review

19:29:00

Hello everyone,

Today I'm going to be doing a book review on one of my very favourite books, Girl Online by Zoe Sugg. If you follow my twitter, you're probably aware of how big of a fan I am of Zoella, and so it was a no-brainer for me to pick this up as soon as I could get my hands on it. That took me a surprising amount of time, but I ended up reading it in one go right after christmas.

Let me just start off by saying that this book is such a good fit for me. I love books set in large cities, particularly Paris and New York. I also happen to love books about bloggers and online presence, and so is there really a book that fits this description more perfectly?


I also really love the cover of this book. It's very cute, and it looks very cute on my bookshelf. The texture of it is what I really love about it though. It's very... soft. I can find no other word than that to explain it.

There's one issue that continues to bug me no matter how many times I reread this book though - the disappearing-parent syndrome. What kind of parent lets their fifteen year old girl ride across New York City alone with some guy they don't know? And further, what kind of parent wouldn't mind their daughter disappearing for an entire day in New York City without really telling them where she was going? For a book that's so relatable in all other aspects of it, this is one part that has been completely overlooked. I also find the idea of 'love-at-first-sight' a bit ridiculous, and the way they coincidentally get to spend christmas together is quite unrealistic.

One thing I do love about this book is the style it's written in. Although whether Girl Online was written by Zoe is up for debate, you can really hear her voice throughout the novel. The very same narrative voice I've grown to adore through her blog is very present in this book, and there are certain quotes, such as Zoe's signature line; Every time you post something online, you have a choice. You can make people happy or take away their happiness.

I've never personally suffered from anxiety, but I do know what it feels like to be very, very anxious. I know what it feels like to suddenly feel like you just need to get out of a situation, no matter the cost, and I find that this book describes that feeling perfectly.

Overall, I love this book. It's a perfect mix of the struggle of every day life as a teenager and escaping from reality. I'd recommend this book to any teenage girl, but I truly feel like everyone has something to learn from this book.

Have you read this book, and what was your opinion on it? Let me know!


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I agree 💕 it's such a good book x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's one of my favourites <3 x thank you

      Delete